Wednesday, December 19, 2012

These are like crimpers, Not yet, but someday

"Okay, grab a hold of my fingers. These are kind of like crimpers, well, you can grip all the way around my fingers but someday they will be like crimpers." The words I spoke to my son the other night as he has decided, at 4 months of age, that he doesn't want to sit, he wants to stand. So I was talking him through this standing thing. Which, I'm sure to those around me, was rather amusing.

"Okay, you're up now drop your heels...and you're down...and you're up, drop those heels, you'll be much more stable. This is a valuable piece of knowledge for climbing, always better grip when you drop your...and you're down." I'm probably not winning any awards for motivational speeches given to 4 month old children. But we continued.

"Grab a hold, just like that. Whenever you're ready get yourself up and remember to drop your heels. There you go, up and now drop your heels. And you're down again...and up, okay now drop the other heel. Stability is crucial in standing, as it is in climbing, and dropping your heels will be a huge hel...and you're down. Okay, next time. You'll get it next time." No you most likely won't. However, we'll keep working on it and you'll get it eventually.


It all happened when I let my son scoot around the carpet without putting a blanket down. Our apartment has thick shag carpet and he grabbed a hold and pulled himself along instead of scooting himself along. It was at that moment that I decided climbing was definitely in our sons future. I started putting the blanket down after that, but climbing jargon has been a part of raising him ever since.


No comments:

Post a Comment